Card Type: Technology
Download Card (PDF)
Social media refers to interaction among people in which they create, share, and/or exchange information and ideas in virtual communities and networks. In a learning environment, social media places learners in a broader context in which to understand the course material and their discipline as a whole.
- Understand how to use social media platforms for academic and professional purposes (beyond casual/personal use).
- Foster collaborative learning experiences in and outside the classroom.
- Build ongoing community and network with peers and mentors.
- Provide a guided opportunity for learners to create and manage their digital identity.
- Decide the purpose for incorporporating social media into the curriculum (ie- as a backchannel, collaboration tool, resource collector/organizer, as part of a project assignment, and/or as a communication tool).
- Select a platform based on the desired features. If uncertain, get advice from campus academic technologies support group.
- Different platforms will have different set-up requirements. Follow whatever process makes sense for selected platform (for example - a class group in Facebook, or a class-specific hashtag for Twitter, etc.)
- Stay connected. Social media is most effective with ongoing interaction/communication.
- Requires active participation to be effective - not a passive one-and-done implementation.
- Choosing an appropriate platform can be confusing for social media novices.
- Experience does not equate to expertise—learners often require guidance in developing good digital citizenship.
- "5 Ways To Make Students Better At Sharing Online - Edudemic."Edudemic. <http://www.edudemic.com/make-students-better-at-sharing/>.
- Ahlqvist, Toni, et al. “Social Media Roadmaps: Exploring the Futures Triggered by Social Media.” Espoo: VTT, 2008. <http://www.vtt.fi/inf/pdf/tiedotteet/2008/T2454.pdf>.
- "The Conversation Prism V4.0 by Brian Solis and JESS3 (2013)." <https://conversationprism.com/>.
- "My 5 Best Social Media Tips For Teachers - Edudemic." Edudemic. <http://www.edudemic.com/my-5-best-social-media-tips-for-teachers/>.